All of our programs are competitive and you may require a higher grade point average (GPA) for admission. To learn more, please visit our Applicant Profile page.
All MSc, MPH and PhD degree programs
Before you submit an online application, please note the minimum admission requirements for consideration into our programs. You must meet these requirements for your application to be considered:
- A baccalaureate degree or its academic equivalent from an academic institution recognized by the University of Alberta with a grade point average of at least 3.0 on most 4-point grading systems, or B on most letter grading systems, based on your most recent two years or last 60 credits of full-time study (or equivalent) is required.
- A prerequisite for admission is an undergraduate statistics course. If you are not sure you meet this requirement, please submit a complete course syllabus to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate "Request to have statistics requirement waived."
Preference will be given to those applicants with experience in a public health related field. For more information, visit What is Public Health?
Additional requirements for PhD programs
Before you submit an online application, please note the minimum admission requirements for acceptance into our programs. For your application to a PhD program to be successful:
- You are encouraged to have completed master's-level training.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have demonstrated competence in the application of their discipline to research.
- This includes, for example, completion of master’s thesis, previous research scholarships or fellowship, or a research publication track record.
NOTE: PhD applicants, before being accepted, you must identify a supervisor from amongst School of Public Health faculty members who agrees to supervise your thesis research. Check out the detailed profiles of our faculty members.
English Language Proficiency
English is the primary language of instruction and communication at the University of Alberta (except for the Faculté Saint-Jean); proficiency in English is a prerequisite for graduate admission.
For information on the minimum Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research requirements for English language, the ways to demonstrate proficiency, please go to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research website.
NOTE: Applicants with qualifications from certain countries and international universities are exempt from English language requirements. See the exemption list on the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research website.
The School of Public Health minimum score on an approved English language proficiency exam are described below: