2013-14 McCalla Professor
Margriet Haagsma’s (History & Classics) focus during the tenure of the McCalla award is writing and editing Kastro Kallithea I: Urban Survey and City Planning, the first monograph of the Archaeological Project at Kastro Kallithea in Greece. This well preserved ancient city has been surveyed and excavated by a team of University of Alberta students and staff in order to increase our knowledge regarding ancient household economy and social organisation during this period. From its onset the project made integration of research teaching and learning a priority and several (former) graduate students will contribute to this planned volume. Dr. Haagsma will also develop a senior level course on Hellenistic city planning.
- 2012: Nora Stovel (English & Film Studies)
- 2011: Frances Pownall (History & Classics)
- 2011: Susan Smith (History & Classics)
- 2010: Linda Trimble (Political Science)
Killam Annual Professorships
- 2013: Yasmeen Abu-Laban (Political Science)
- 2013: Imre Szeman (English & Film Studies)
J. Gordin Kaplan Award
The annual award recognizes research excellence in the general area of humanities, social sciences, law, education, and fine arts, and excellence in the sciences or engineering.
Martha Cook Piper Research Prize
- 2012: Beverly Lemire (History & Classics, H. M. Tory Chair)
- 2011: John-Paul Himka (History & Classics)
Social Sciences, Humanities, Fine Arts, Law and Education Category
Recognizes faculty members at an early stage in their careers who have developed strong reputations for original research and who show outstanding promise as researchers.
- 2013: Keavy Martin (English & Film Studies)
- 2012: Robert Losey (Anthropology)
- 2011: Ingo Brigandt (Philosophy)
- 2008: Kevin Haggerty (Sociology)
- 2003: Andrew Gow (History & Classics)
2013 Faculty of Arts Research Excellence Awards
Recognizes outstanding contributions to research and/or creative excellence in the Faculty of Arts. Three categories exist for these awards, one at each rank—Assistant, Associate and Full Professor. Nominations are made by Department Chairs and are adjudicated by the Faculty’s Research Awards committee on the basis of the nominee’s academic career record of research or creative activity.
- Chloë Taylor (Women's and Gender Studies)
- Robert Losey (Anthropology)
- Andrzej Weber (Anthropology)