Michael O’Driscoll, Associate Dean, Research
Education & Career Highlights:
- PhD University of Western Ontario
- BA, MA University of Waterloo
- Former Director, Alberta Institute for American Studies
- Former Associate Chair (Instruction), Department of English and Film Studies
- Editor, ESC: English Studies in Canada
- Faculty of Arts Teaching Award
- American Library Association Leab Award
Responsibilities as Associate Dean, Graduate Studies
- Critical and Cultural Theories
- Twentieth-Century American Literature and Culture
- Poetry and Poetics
Personal Interests & Hobbies:
- Facilitate the work of the students and professors who strive to maintain the stellar achievements and outstanding global reputation of Graduate Studies here in the Faculty of Arts.
- Collaborate with administrators and coordinators at every level of the University of Alberta in order to ensure the present and future success of graduate level research, teaching, learning, and service in the Faculty of Arts.
- Advocate on behalf of the Faculty of Arts and its Graduate Studies community.
Favorite TV shows/movies:
- My children, grandchildren, partner, parents and everyone else in my complicatedly extended family.
- Friends, food, and fine whisky.
- Literature, film, music, and the visual arts of any kind at any time.
- Building, dwelling, thinking.
- 1970’s Hollywood: The Golden Age!
- Games of Thrones, Trueblood, The Wire, Breaking Bad… you get the idea.
Favourite Musical Artists:
Too many to name, but if I had to list genres I’d say R&B, Funk, Blues, Rock, Alt Country, Folk. My favourite kick these days is covers: I love when talented people interpret the work of other talented people and make it their own in brilliant ways.
“The closer you get to Canada, the more things'll eat your horse.” (The Missouri Breaks 1976)